“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”
1. Get more sleep — 7-9 hours people. Insufficient sleep is linked with less innovation, lower job satisfaction and unethical behavior in the workplace (HuffingtonPost).
2. Check your email twice a day.. MAX — Don’t get caught up deleting spam or organizing your emails into folders for when you’re “ready to read them”. Turn off your notifications and set aside specific times of the day to refresh that inbox.
3. Reduce time spent multitasking (if not eliminate it totally) — Your time is spent more wisely and efficiently if you put your focus into one task and complete it before beginning another. Give it your all.. or don’t give it anything.
4. Plan your day the night before — get the ball rolling before you even hit the hay! Visualize how you see your day going and start from there!
5. Utilize the “do not disturb” feature on your phone — How many times a day are you interrupted from your task to answer an irrelevant text or phone call? Give yourself certain “freedom windows” throughout your work day. But for the others.. NO PHONE ZONE.
6. Take lunch AWAY from the office — Cognitive resources are scarce, limited, quickly and easily depleted… Taking a 15-20 min break is a proven way to sustain concentration and energy levels throughout the day (FastCompany).
7. Learn to say “NO” — Give yourself permission to ignore certain tasks. If it’s not a priority, it can wait.
8. Automate your life — Take time to set up tools like “automatic bill-pay” and save yourself some hassle.
9. Small goals are just as important as the big ones — Setting smaller goals allows you to focus on one part of the bigger picture at a time. This allows you to structurally get the job done.